Saturday, July 23, 2011

Butterfield Trail, Devil's Den State Park - September 4-5, 2010

 This was my first solo backpacking trip.  I chose the Butterfield trail because I had already hiked it once and knew what I was up against.  By this point in time, I had learned an important lesson -- that I needed to be in shape in order to finish the entire 15 mile trail.  I had been diligently working on getting into shape so that this time around, the challenge would be achievable.  I had been working out for several months prior to this trip and was in pretty good shape.

Starting at 12:30 PM, I decided to take the counter-clockwise direction again due to my familiarity with the trail in this direction.  Of course, this meant that I had a steep climb right at the beginning of the trail.  I climb this section of the trail without any major problems (my knee was still going strong)!  When I got to the Butterfield Falls section of the trail, I was shocked to see that the Falls were completely dry!

Butterfield Falls

After making it down the falls, I made good time and got to Junction Camp around 4 PM.  I got camp setup and started my search for water to filter.  Since both of the creeks were dried up, I had to hike nearly a mile down Lee Creek to find a very small pool of water that I could filter water from.  I cooked up a quick dinner and then gathered firewood for a fire.  The remainder of the time, I spent enjoying the solitude, and reflected on life.  I went to bed relatively early and got a good night's sleep in preparation for the next day's hike.

Junction Camp

The next day I got up with the sun and tore down camp.  I hiked down the creek again in the morning to refill all of my water containers.  After returning to camp, I ate a PowerBar and then hit the trail.  I again made good time and made it to Quail Valley in just a matter of hours and stopped for a quick break and a snack.  I was happy that this time around my knee was doing a lot better.

Quail Valley

After the break, I hit the trail again.  This time around I stuck to the Butterfield Trail and got to see the beautiful view from Vista Point Overlook:
Vista Point Overlook
The next couple of miles are a slow climb up Mt. Olive which entails a small but steady elevation change.  After getting to the top of Mt. Olive, it is all downhill from here for the remaining 1 to 2 miles.  I was excited that I was so close to the end and my knee was not hurting hardly at all.  At the final mile marker, I was excited that I only had one final mile and I accomplished my goal!

Last Mile Marker!

No comments:

Post a Comment